Natasha and I have a new rule. Never ever fish without Oreos.
The reasons are many. I’ll give you the short list.
- Oreos are good. No, Oreos are great.
- Oreos are the best alternative to breakfast, lunch or dinner in the boat or at the boat landing.
- Oreos are chocolate. (Good substitution for melty KitKat bars)
- Oreos have a creme filling. This is not relative to fishing, but still important.
- Oreos help us catch fish.
- No, they really do help us catch fish.
- Especially when you simultaneously have one Oreo in the mouth and one Oreo in each hand. (That’s three total)
- An Oreo helps one get through the agony of spilling one’s only mug of coffee in the boat.
- An Oreo also keeps one from swimming the width of the lake to get more coffee when one spills it in the boat.
- Oreos also eases the pain and sadness of forgetting to take the worms.
- Oreos are more important than worms, even when fishing.
- Oreos cover up the dual smell of deet and sunscreen.
- Oreos give us a sense of peace when the fish aren’t biting.
- Oreos give us a sense of accomplishment even when the bass aren’t big enough to keep.
- Finally, Oreos make us strong…strong enough to pull in a fish when the fishing pole falls apart.
When Natasha and I were loading the car to drive home, I had a package of Oreos in my hand. I looked at her and said, “I think I’ve had enough Oreos. I’m hungry for fruit.”
“Blasphemer” she cried! (with a look of angry perplexity)
It was a quiet ride home.